Monday 1 December 2008

Sad

On saturday morning, Deb and I had to go to a client meeting at 9am in Surrey (btw, NEVER AGAIN will we do this so early.) We got onto the #1 and noticed it was a rather slow drive for a saturday morning. Then we saw in the HOV lane 4 cars pulled off to the side. Clearly there was an accident. The first car had a smash up front end, and it had spun 90 degrees. There was a second car that I didn't get much of a look at. Then there was a minivan. The rear end was destroyed beyond recognition. We could see people reaching into the van and obviously there was someone stuck inside. When we passed it the first responders hadn't even gotten there yet, and we heard no sirens. Obviously it had happened only minutes earlier.

As I got into work today, I opened up the usual websites I visit in the morning. One of those sites is The Province. I saw this article and didn't really make the connection. It finally clicked when I remembered seeing the accident. Deb and I both said to each other "Oh man, I hope there were no kids in there." When I saw the first car I told deb to take some photos with her iphone, but when we saw that van we both were like "umm... no photos." I'm glad we didn't.

The fact that we saw the aftermath of the accident doesn't make it any more tragic than it is, but still.

1 comment:

Wordsmith said...

And I only found out on Monday that the victim family are cousins of my colleague who does the accounts at work. She's taking Wednesday off for the funerals. We're all pretty down about it too.